Alexander Hamilton Comic Book Review


Can history be told through a graphic novel? I wanted to find this out, so I got Jonathan Hennessey's Graphic Novel Alexander Hamilton Biography. Alexander Hamilton is one of the most influential figures in United States history. He fought in the war, helped develop the Constitution and was the first Secretary of the Treasury.  Today, kids know him because of Hamilton the Musical on Broadway.
Justin Greenwood's illustrations are really good. I did, at times, have a hard time figuring out who was who throughout the book, especially because Hennessey seems to skip around in Hamilton's life.
The book starts out with the Monarchy and slavery. It doesn't even start with Hamilton being born. The first ten pages were about growing sugar which created more slavery. Alexander Hamilton is against slavery, but if you only read the first few pages you would think he was for slavery.  I thought this book wouldn't take me very long to read, but it took me an hour to read because I found it hard to follow. I was surprised at how much of the book wasn't about Alexander Hamilton. There were more pages on George Washington than Hamilton. It was a fun read. Did I learn anything from it? No, but then again I am a huge Revolutionary War fan, so I read a lot of books about the founding fathers. This would be a great book for kids, especially kids who don't like to read.




"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.
"

Popular posts from this blog

My Book Review on Rachel Hauck's The Memory House plus Giveaway

Medication Gluten Free List

Below Deck Mediterranean Season 4 Junkie Review