My Cat Has Cancer


As most people are celebrated the holidays I get the news my cat has squamous cell carcinoma. He has been having a runny eye for the past month. Our vet gave him some steroids thinking he might have a cold. He is 15 going on 16 years old and she didn't want the cold to go to his lungs. He was doing not too bad when he was on the steroids. A week later, after the medications ran out.  his eye was running even more. I took him back to the vet. I noticed that his right side by his nose looked a little swollen. My vet saw it too. She thought it could be a tooth root abscess and wanted him to get his teeth cleaned. My mind thought the sooner the better, so we got him in the next day.

7:00am in the morning I dropped him off. I hate leaving him at the vet. They told me they would call around 12:00pm. 12:15pm came and I still didn't hear anything so I called. Come to find out they still haven't gotten to him. I was pissed. You are having him dropped off early in the morning to sit in a cage hearing a bunch of animals crying.  1:00pm came around and still didn't hear anything. 1:30pm I called again and they still didn't get to him yet. At this point, I was fuming. 2:30pm I called again luckily this time they said they just got started working with him. Good because otherwise, they wouldn't like the words that were about to come out of my mouth.  Finally 3:15pm the vet called to tell me his teeth look extremely good, but they did an x-ray to find there is a small mass near the sinus cavity. I asked if there is a way to remove it. Sadly they said no unless you want a deformed looking cat. I don't care if he is deformed as long as I can have him for another 2 or more years. Well, come to find out he would have lots of infections and problems eating, etc.  The vet said there is nothing they can do and it is really painful. I don't want my baby to be in pain, but he is playing, eating and cuddling. We get there to pick him up and come to find my vet didn't do the procedure a different vet did. If I knew that I wouldn't have scheduled him the next day. I am bailing in the room. The vet brings Jakie in the room. She kindly asks what I would like to do with him. Excuse me?!?! I am taking him home. If he wasn't eating, cuddling and playing then that would be another story, but he seems to be doing very well. His fur coat is gorgeous and his eyes are bright and clear. If I listened to the vet 5 years ago he wouldn't be here today. Five years ago, he was diagnosed with a mass on his liver.  They told us it could be a benign mass, but it could also be cancer. They told us it grows fast and if I'm lucky I might have him for another four months to a year, well it has been 5 years now.

His blood work looks awesome for his age, other than the liver enzymes. I am determined to make this vet wrong again and I know he is too.  When I found in July 2017 that the mass got a little bigger than the year before I freaked out and took him to a cancer doctor at Bluepearl. I spent $200 to be told they have to do a biopsy of the liver, but if they go in to take the biopsy there could be a pretty good chance, if it's cancer, to spread. BluePearl said they could take part of his liver, but being 15 years old he is going to have a hard recovery and there is a pretty good chance he could die on the table. I was not going to take that chance. They sent him on his way with a pain medication, but nothing to help slow it down. My mom and I did a lot of research on trying to get cancer to slow down. I will let you know what I find out and tell you his progress. All I ask is for him to be in your prayers.

- Stephanie Norton💜💙

Popular posts from this blog

My Book Review on Rachel Hauck's The Memory House plus Giveaway

Medication Gluten Free List

Below Deck Mediterranean Season 4 Junkie Review