Fiddler on the Roof National Touring Company Review




Saw the national tour of Fiddler on the Roof. I had mix feelings this broadways musical again.  It's such a long show. I was praying my tummy would make it through the whole show.

I wasn't dying to see this show but it was free for my mom and me. Fiddler brings back so many memories when I was in it with the all-girls choir. If it wasn't for the main character Tevye, played by Yechezkel Lazarov, it would have been a total flop if not for him.  The sets were dull but that is the type of show it is. Les Mis is a dark dull show but has a hint of colors.



The scene changes were very slow and took you away from the story. I would have loved to see them put some projections photos on the backdrops.
Anastasia Musical used both film projections and scenery and it was beautiful.Fidder's sets where very boring and hard to figure out where they were at times. For example, when they were in the town they had have four house cut-outs that hung from up in the fly rail. All they needed was a projection of a town. This would have helped cut down on the long set changes that took me out of the show.


The tailors Business would have been so much better with a mix of set-piece and projection. It got confusing at times with them spinning the door to let the audience knew if the character is walking in and out of the shop.
My favorite scene was the Dream Scene. The costumes in this scene were amazing. Some of the actors were even on stilts. The masks on them were amazing and very detailed can be seen all the way to my seat. 



The dancing was really good throughout the show. However, some of the dancing went on forever because they did the same dance over and over again throughout the show. I love the guys in the wedding scene with the bottles on their heads. One guy had one fall off his head, but I wasn't sure if that was supposed to happen or if that was an accident. 

I have always wished this musical wasn't three hours long when there are many things that could be cut. 
Act one has good pace. Act two is very boring.  I feel the story falls flat because we don't know the daughters very well to care about them.  Its boom they are married. I would have loved for Act Two not to be about the soviets kicking them out of their homes instead have it focus more on the daughters fighting to marry their true love.



I think that is why this musical isn't one of my favs because the storyline isn't the greatest. I didn't care about any characters except Tevey. I never understood the whole Fiddler and him reading the book. Is Tevet telling the Fiddler's story? 

Yehezkel Lazarov, who played Tevye was really good. His vocals were strong. He brought relatable emotions to the songs. He was very funny and really helped the pace of the show. He put real emotions into the part. 

The daughters:
Tzeitel, Kelly Gabrielle Murphy
Hodel, Ruthy Froch
Chava, NoaLuz Barenblat
Shprint , Emma Taylor Schwart
They didn't stand out in the show.


I just felt they were just doing the script instead of feeling the emotions of the characters.

The mother Golde, played by Maite Vzal, had good chemistry with Tevye. She had a deep raspy voice that shows her age because, to be honest, the daughters looked the same age as the mother so her darker raspy vocal made her sound older.

The matchmaker, played by Carol Beaugard, was not one of my favorite character. The Matchmaker is a comical role, but instead, she just was awkward.  This is her first national tour and it shows. Her dialogue felt like she was just reading the script It didn't have a smooth technique.


Another thing with the dancing is there were way too many people on the stage at once. It was really crowded. and they weren't all doing the same thing. I kept waiting for them to crash into each other.

Like I said previously the pace of the show was on the slow side but this is my second time seeing this show and it always is really slow pace and long. 

The first performances were September 22, 1964, set imperial Russia around 1905 based on Teyve and his daughters and other tales by Sholem Aleichem

Tony Award
1965- Best Musica
1965-Best Score
1965- Best Book Touring
1999- Best revival tony awards

FINAL MESSAGE:
My RATINGS: 
Fiddler for the Roof as a whole 3 stars out of 5 
FIddler's Scenery 2 out of 5 stars
Fiddler's Costumes: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars
Tevye's Acting & Vocals  4 out of 5 stars.
Tevye's wife'a acting & Vocala 2
Daughters- Tzeitel- Acting & Vocals 4 out of 5 stars. 
Hodel- Acting & Vocals 31/2 stars out of 5 stars.


The daughters:
Tzeitel, Kelly Gabrielle Murphy
Hodel, Ruthy Froch
Chava, NoaLuz Barenblat
Shprint , Emma Taylor Schwart
They didn't stand out in the show.


CAST and CREW



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Book Review on Rachel Hauck's The Memory House plus Giveaway

Medication Gluten Free List

Below Deck Mediterranean Season 4 Junkie Review