Suggestions on Baking Cookies

Gluten-Free cookies can be a pain to make. I had a hard time with regular cookies.  I don't know about you, but my GF cookies come on flat and hard. It spreads all over the pan even when I lessen the butter. I love switching out the butter and putting applesauce in the place. Applesauce is a work of art. You have to play around with it. Here are some suggestions that other gluten-freeers have told me: 
-Bake on a Silpat mat placed onto your cookie sheet – this helps keep the dough from spreading too much.


- For cookies that are rolled out and cut out, place the dough between two Silpat mats, or between two sheets of plastic wrap. The plastic wrap can also be moistened to help it from slipping around on the counter and also water can help spread out the cookie dough.

- Use a small ice-cream scoop with a lever to help release the dough onto your cookie sheet.

- Use an offset spatula, moistened, to help smooth the batter after dropping it onto the cookie sheet.

- Refrigerate, or even freeze the cookie dough before baking.

- Place cookie dough into those paper cupcake paper liners and then place onto the cookie sheet to help keep cookies from spreading too much.
 
I have learned that you must use a flour blend not just one type of flour say white rice. There are many different blends online. If you are looking for blend you don't have to put together, Kinnkinnick All Purpose Flour. Using a blend of gluten free flour will make it taste and look better. 
 
Combine some of these gluten- free flours. Experiment with them.: rice flour, brown rice flour, tapioca flour,  Corn flour (Cornstarch), sorghum flour, amaranth flour, potato flour, and sweet potato flour.
 
My favorite flour is amaranth flour because it is high in fiber and has a great amount of nutrition.
 
All flour mixes or pre-made mixes should be in the refrigerator because they say it keeps them fresh longer.
I have always bought my rice flour, tapioca flour, cornstarch at my local oriental store because it was a lot cheaper. Just be careful if they are side by side to any of the gluten flours. I am very sensitive and I have no problem. All Oriental stores are different, so listen to your instincts. Try to find a clean, well organized oriental store.
 
Have fun baking your cookies and experimenting with  gluten-free flour
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Book Review on Rachel Hauck's The Memory House plus Giveaway

Medication Gluten Free List

Below Deck Mediterranean Season 4 Junkie Review