Oliver the Kitten Scares us Grinding Teeth



Oliver, our 6-month-old kitten who has been diagnosed with FIP, gave my mom and me a heart attack around 12:00 am. It was time to give him a huge regime of medications and supplements.  We have been having a harder time getting him to take the pill. We stick it in one of those squeezable treats for cats. Eventually, he caught on to us putting a pill in the squeezable and will spit it out.

I thought let's try putting the antibiotic and the pill together. We bought a pill crusher thinking it would be easier for him to get it down and easier to hide it into his treats too. Well, it didn't work. I usually give Oliver the pill first and then do the antibiotic, but this is the first time trying to do both together. Nope, it didn't work. The next thing I knew he was acting like he was choking. There is no way there was anything he could choke on.  When he allowed me to look in his mouth I didn't see anything.

I called our local ER Vet.
Vet Tech: Is he looking like he can't breath?
Me: No
Vet Tech: IS he pawing at his mouth?
Me: Yes
Vet Tech: Is it all the time or certain things he is doing?
Me: No not doing it all the time just when he eats.
Vet Tech: I don't feel there is any concern at this time, but to get him to the Vet tomorrow. If things get worse come on in.

I have no clue what to do at that moment. I felt bad because my mom would have to go by herself because I wasn't feeling well at all and I had to work the next day. Going to the ER Vet will cause a lot of stress on Oliver and stress is not good. It would be great news to find out its just the taste of the medication that caused it, but upsetting because I added stress to him he really didn't need.  Plus it would be a waste of money that I could be putting towards figuring out what is going on. I would spend anything for my cats when it comes to their health.
But then I worry about him dying while we are sleeping.  It such a helpless feeling. Plus every time he made the sound of gridding teeth sounds it made me cringe and increased my worries.

Another reason why I felt like I should take him into the ER Vet is when we gave Faith Bubble Gum Kids' Benadryl which made her froth at the mouth from the taste. She sounded like she has a dry mouth and is trying to get spit to develop in your mouth.

After watching him for a good hour we decided not to bring him in. My mom promised me she would keep a good eye on him during the rest of the night because once I take my medications I am out. He was eating and not making the teeth grinding sounds anymore.

This was terrifying.

Please send prayers for Oliver.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Book Review on Rachel Hauck's The Memory House plus Giveaway

Medication Gluten Free List

Below Deck Mediterranean Season 4 Junkie Review